Friday, January 21, 2011

You, Your Closet And A Plan…The Makeover!

(image via )
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we opened our closet door and walked into something like this every morning? I was inspired by this picture to initiate a much needed closet makover!  Though I'm sure it probably won't look anything like this (lol), it will be fab because it will be a cute, edgy, sophisticated revision inspired by me....what I want it to look like.

Ladies, what are some changes that you want to implement in your closet?  The other day when I started to work on this project I decided I needed to prep, and hence a self designed 5 step plan should do the trick.  My goal was to: make space, get organized, incorporate some portable shelving and more importantly, let go of clothes that I’m obviously holding on to for I have no clue what reason.  I always say to myself, wait that may come back out, but seriously ladies who am I kidding?  Yes, trends recycle themselves, but fashion does and always will change daily in our world, and for some (in my opinion innate) reason as women we get attached to the notion of "having to have" something new…well at least I do.  So this was my plan:

Step 1: Identify the clothes that fit me today—not will fit in 6 months, not oh my, it fit last year—the clothes that fit me right now. *special note on jeans: if you have to hold your breath for more than 30secs to button, lie on the floor to pull them up, or have your son help you tug on a pair like I did, then I’m guessing those favorite pair of jeans don’t belong in the fit pile.

Step 2:  Sort the pieces I chose to keep from the try on, that I’m comfortable with the fit, by season.  Spring is right around the corner, so I thought it would be safe to separate the lighter cardigans from the heavy turtle necks.

Step 3:  Pack away the heavier clothing, preferably in bins because it’s lid protected; keeping out the lighter fall, spring and summer stuff (I’m in FL, but for some of you Winter is still in full blast so it’s up to you)

Step 4: Organize everything by incorporating some portable shelves, and hang up all the “keepers” in an organized fashion.  

Step 5: Donate the non fitters, and all that didn’t make the cut. ** Let me just say that during the donation process, you may second guess your let go picks (like I did) and a few pieces may get a second chance and re-enter the closet; my reasoning for this is, hey maybe we still have a connection after all, I may not adore you today, but you probably can save me on an infamous “I have nothing to wear day” tomorrow.

And voila…closet cleaned and organized right? Wrong! I’m still in the process of cleaning out my closet.  I must confess to you all that it has been about three days and inconsistency has been spotted all over the place. Plus I didn’t take into consideration the boxes of paperwork that I had in there (an organization nightmare); however, I do I think the best part about this whole process has been the choice and the actual attempt to do it.  I hope to be done by this weekend. I keep second guessing my choices for donating, and at one point I kept trying to convince myself that I could fit back into some of my really old clothes. What I do realize is its ok if I don’t fit it anymore.  I want to focus on the way I look in the clothes that I can wear everyday, NOT how it looks hanging in my closet.  Wish me luck on my deadline (I’m going to need it), and the same to you ladies for creating a closet clean out/makeover plan that works for you!  I'll try to post pics next week.  Have a good one!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

i wish i had the time to organize my closet i think that if i keep buying things at this rate im going to need an extra room just to keep my clothes and shoes organized

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...